When relocating, a huge size appliance like fridge requires much more focus then others due to its weight and size. People often ask about what can stay in and what not while moving. It is always recommended to take a professional help to carry out this important job. Following the below mentioned steps will make handling this tricky piece easier.
Top 3 Fridge moving Tips with Home Relocation:
Preparation before Packing:
- The plan of moving a fridge should be done a day in advance. Before moving a fridge, it is essential to read manual book, as every fridge is different and so handling of it. Ensure that you are taking necessary safety measurements to handle appliance.
- Make sure that everything inside is taken out. Ensure that refrigerator and freezer, both are fully vacated. All eatables, which may get perished should be use or distributed to neighbors and friends. All other stuffs inside should be properly packed and kept in some safe corner. Those things, which may get rotten in normal temperature, should be kept in neighbors fridge.
- Take out ice-cube trays to avoid excess weight and saving from getting damaged while moving. Remove all the shelves also and pack them separately together with trays. If possible put color stickers, to rearrange shelves perfectly after relocation.
- Unplug the refrigerator and properly coil the power cord. Don’t forget to tie it properly with fridge body, while moving. Keep refrigerator door open for overnight to defrost the freezer. This would take some hours, so make sure you do it well before moving. Wipe it properly from inside before start packing.
Secure Packing Methods:
- Fasten the doors properly with ropes. In case if you are having double door refrigerator, then tie both doors together also. Make sure you tie them such a way, that while moving they don’t open up otherwise it will end up breaking.
- Do not tie doors very tightly, otherwise they will pull out of alignment, which may end up damaging it permanently.
- If move is going to take more than a day, then keep the doors slightly open for proper ventilation inside. This will prevent growing any mildew inside.
Moving with Care:
- Do not attempt to lift it alone, rather take help of people. It is always best to take professional help, which will make the entire move absolutely safe.
- Best equipment to use is refrigerator dolly, which can easily move the appliance till van very safely and comfortably. Carefully place bottom of the fridge over it, and use straps to avoid falling while house relocation.
- Maintain upright position properly, to avoid oil seeping into cooling tubes. Never move refrigerator on its side or back. There is a high risk of oil inside compressor may flow into cooling tubes, which will damage the cooling system when restarted. If side move becomes unavoidable, then make sure that upright angle is maintained.
- It is secure to move in the direction opposite the tilt to maintain safety. One person should constantly have engaged to hold handles of the doors to avoid any accident.
- Be very careful while lifting it into truck. It is also best to hire a professional help to avoid any kind of incidents. They are always equipped with latest technology to achieve any difficult lifting. Make sure it is kept in the upright position while moving. Same precautions should be taken care while unloading it. Allow refrigerator to sit of the one position before plugging in. This will allow oil and fluid to flow back to compressor to avoid any damage. It may take 1-2 days for refrigerator to return to the proper cooling temperature.
- Rearrange all the shelves like before and start using it regularly.